Posted on 6th November 2018 at 11:55am by Donal
Looking for some Interrail inspiration (aside from the usual top spots like Paris, Amsterdam, Rome etc). Well, here’s our recommendations…
1. Olomouc in Moravia in eastern Czech Republic is majestic and beautiful – and a nice change of pace from the busier Prague.
2. Lake Bled, Slovenia (the gateway city of Ljubljana is ideal and also offers lots to see and do)
3. The vast and beautiful Krka National Park in southern Croatia. Head here from Split bus station to the city of Šibenik
4. The salt mines in Krakow (there is much, more to the city than a daytrip to Auschwitz).
5. The resort island of Hvar, off the coast of Split in Croatia.
6. The capital of Austria, Vienna, is a wonderful city, and Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, is just a hop, skip and a jump away (by a one hour, direct train to be precise).
7. Take a trip on Switzerland’s Glacier Express, which travels through Europe’s most spectacular alpine scenery.
8. The city of Kalambaka in Greece, situated atthe foot of the most extraordinary Meteora rocks. Worth a trip just to see the six ancient monasteries of Meteora, built on sandstone pillars, sitting high above you.
9. Sarajevo (pictured), the capital and largest city of Bosnia and Herzegovina, is not only beautiful but offers a wealth of things to do and see. Don’t miss the Bijambare caves.
10. Nuremberg, in northern Bavaria, Germany, is a must for history buffs but also a great European city in its own right. It even has a castle!